We are delighted to announce that our physical office is re-opening to our existing and new clients. To provide safety to both our clients and staff, we are adapting the CDC guidelines for social distancing while we are in the yellow phase. Rest assured, that we have and will continue to regularly clean all areas of the office especially the high-traffic areas. All attorneys and staff will have their temperature taken daily and will be wearing masks when interacting with clients. Any attorneys and staff with a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher will work remotely. They will then be required to follow CDCrecommended steps, including not returning to work until the CDC criteria to discontinue home isolation are met.

As the health and safety of our clients and their families is our top priority, we are asking that our clients follow the procedures below during the yellow phase:

  1. Upon entering the building, we ask that all persons wash their hands or hand-sanitize. We will be providing access to soap, hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes.
  2. We will also be taking temperatures with non-contact thermometers upon entering the office.
  3. Our office is set-up to comply with social distancing of six feet. In the conference and mediation rooms we are asking that each person sit a minimum of one chair apart from attorneys and/or staff at all times.
  4. Masks are available and will be provided open request.
  5. Teleconferences Zoom meetings, and FaceTime are available in lieu of inperson meetings if requested.
  6. We will continue to have the drop-box available for delivery of documents.

In the event that anyone is sick or have been exposed to COVID-19, we ask that you reschedule your appointment or utilize the electronic forums listed above.

As each county determines the procedures that will be followed, please ask your attorney of the specific procedures regarding the county in which your case in pending.

Please note that we will also continue to accommodate the needs of new clients, who are welcome, and as always we encourage and appreciate referrals. During this uncertain and unprecedented time, please stay safe and remember that Sweeney Law Office, LLC will remain by your side for all of your family’s legal needs. We ask that you have patience during this challenging time.

Let Our Family Help Your Family

Pennsylvania father owes large sum in child support payments

A man who now lives in Pennsylvania owes thousands in back child support payments. He is facing a five-year period of probation, as well as having to pay the money he owes to the mother of the child. The ruling comes from a court in another state, as that is where he was living at the time of the original child support order.

In 2004, a judge ordered the man to pay a weekly amount of $165 until the child turned 18 years old. Since just after the order, he has lived in several states, but it is not known if he attempted to make any payments after the decision. He served three months in prison in 2010 after pleading guilty to charges of failing to pay child support. After that sentence, he was released, but with supervision for a year.

The man was arrested again last summer, when it was discovered he owed more than $67,000 in support. He was released once more, but, several months later, he was arrested again for probation violations. At the time of the latest report on this incident, the amount he owes had increased to over $71,000. He has been warned that he will be incarcerated again if he violates his probation and does not comply with the court order.

Even though both parents now reside in different states, this man is still required to make the child support payments ordered by the court. In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, not making the mandated payments could result in jail time, garnishment of wages, liens on any property the person owns or a combination of these and other methods to collect the money that is owed. Non-custodial parents who are unable to make their court-ordered support payments may benefit from seeking modifications to their existing court orders to prevent facing serious penalties for non-payment.

Source: bangordailynews.com, “Former Maine man ordered to pay $71,000 in back child support“, Beth Brogan, Mar. 5, 2015


FindLaw Network