We are delighted to announce that our physical office is re-opening to our existing and new clients. To provide safety to both our clients and staff, we are adapting the CDC guidelines for social distancing while we are in the yellow phase. Rest assured, that we have and will continue to regularly clean all areas of the office especially the high-traffic areas. All attorneys and staff will have their temperature taken daily and will be wearing masks when interacting with clients. Any attorneys and staff with a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher will work remotely. They will then be required to follow CDCrecommended steps, including not returning to work until the CDC criteria to discontinue home isolation are met.

As the health and safety of our clients and their families is our top priority, we are asking that our clients follow the procedures below during the yellow phase:

  1. Upon entering the building, we ask that all persons wash their hands or hand-sanitize. We will be providing access to soap, hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes.
  2. We will also be taking temperatures with non-contact thermometers upon entering the office.
  3. Our office is set-up to comply with social distancing of six feet. In the conference and mediation rooms we are asking that each person sit a minimum of one chair apart from attorneys and/or staff at all times.
  4. Masks are available and will be provided open request.
  5. Teleconferences Zoom meetings, and FaceTime are available in lieu of inperson meetings if requested.
  6. We will continue to have the drop-box available for delivery of documents.

In the event that anyone is sick or have been exposed to COVID-19, we ask that you reschedule your appointment or utilize the electronic forums listed above.

As each county determines the procedures that will be followed, please ask your attorney of the specific procedures regarding the county in which your case in pending.

Please note that we will also continue to accommodate the needs of new clients, who are welcome, and as always we encourage and appreciate referrals. During this uncertain and unprecedented time, please stay safe and remember that Sweeney Law Office, LLC will remain by your side for all of your family’s legal needs. We ask that you have patience during this challenging time.

Let Our Family Help Your Family

Father owes sizeable amount in child support case

Pennsylvania parents who have custodial rights over their children know how important financial support is when raising those children. Non-custodial parents who do not pay child support are often sought by law enforcement. One man has been apprehended and  jailed after evading police and his ex-wife for five years. Officials say the man owes his ex over $200,000 in child support.

The couple were married for 16 years and had three children together. An amount of child support to be paid was set by the court in the state in which the two lived. After not providing any of the money the owed, the man’s paycheck was garnished. He quit his job after the first deduction and moved to the state where both he and his ex-wife were raised.

The ex-wife also chose to move back home but had to enroll in a state assistance program for additional support. She said her ex has only made payments that amounted to $10,000 since they have been divorced. Five years ago an arrest warrant was issued when he did not show for a child support hearing, and at that time, the judge ordered him to pay over $150,000. He disappeared soon after the hearing but was recently located by police, who charged him with contempt of court. Reportedly, he will not be released unless he can pay a substantial amount as an act of good faith.

When a non-custodial parent willfully does not pay child support, he or she is considered to have broken the law and will be subject to fines, payment of all arrears and/or possible jail time. For those Pennsylvania residents whose financial circumstances make it difficult or impossible to honor a child support order, a formal petition to modify the amount may be appropriate. For those seeking to enforce and existing court order, a family law attorney can help.

Source: USA Today, “Man jailed for owing $223K in back child support“, Sarah Fowler, Feb. 8, 2017


FindLaw Network