We are delighted to announce that our physical office is re-opening to our existing and new clients. To provide safety to both our clients and staff, we are adapting the CDC guidelines for social distancing while we are in the yellow phase. Rest assured, that we have and will continue to regularly clean all areas of the office especially the high-traffic areas. All attorneys and staff will have their temperature taken daily and will be wearing masks when interacting with clients. Any attorneys and staff with a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher will work remotely. They will then be required to follow CDCrecommended steps, including not returning to work until the CDC criteria to discontinue home isolation are met.

As the health and safety of our clients and their families is our top priority, we are asking that our clients follow the procedures below during the yellow phase:

  1. Upon entering the building, we ask that all persons wash their hands or hand-sanitize. We will be providing access to soap, hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes.
  2. We will also be taking temperatures with non-contact thermometers upon entering the office.
  3. Our office is set-up to comply with social distancing of six feet. In the conference and mediation rooms we are asking that each person sit a minimum of one chair apart from attorneys and/or staff at all times.
  4. Masks are available and will be provided open request.
  5. Teleconferences Zoom meetings, and FaceTime are available in lieu of inperson meetings if requested.
  6. We will continue to have the drop-box available for delivery of documents.

In the event that anyone is sick or have been exposed to COVID-19, we ask that you reschedule your appointment or utilize the electronic forums listed above.

As each county determines the procedures that will be followed, please ask your attorney of the specific procedures regarding the county in which your case in pending.

Please note that we will also continue to accommodate the needs of new clients, who are welcome, and as always we encourage and appreciate referrals. During this uncertain and unprecedented time, please stay safe and remember that Sweeney Law Office, LLC will remain by your side for all of your family’s legal needs. We ask that you have patience during this challenging time.

Let Our Family Help Your Family

Father requests leniency on child support sum

Most Pennsylvania parents know just how important child support payments are in providing a somewhat comfortable lifestyle for their children. Should the parent who supplies those child support payments be unable to do so for any reason, there is the danger that some of the most basic needs of those children may not be met. For those parents, the sum of the financial support they owe accrues until the time comes when they are able to pay what they owe. Such is the case for one father who was released from prison and finding that he owed nearly $40,000 to the mother of his son.

The man was convicted in the 1995 case of a drive-by shooting that killed a four-year-old girl and injured four other people. He was 19 years old at the time, with his son just eight months. Since his paroled release four years ago, he has pursued and won exoneration for the crime that put him behind bars due to the findings on a review of police procedure at the time. While in prison he had no way to earn a living that would enable him to financially support his son and received the shock of his accumulated total upon his release.

The job the man currently has does not pay much; still, nearly half the check goes to pay on the massive balance. In the past four years he has barely been able to put $7,000 toward the total and is now asking the judge to wipe his debt clean, as his incarceration was beyond his control. He plans to sue the state for the wrongful conviction, but even if he wins his argument, any settlement he may receive could take years to resolve. He is not aware of a similar case that would have set a precedent for his situation.

It is up to the court to review each child support case and give recommendations based on the received information. It is often difficult for a parent to present a persuasive claim without the expertise of an experienced attorney. An attorney who has thorough knowledge of the family laws specific to Pennsylvania can advise a client through each step required by the court.

Source: New York Daily News, “Framed Brooklyn man wants judge to vacate $40G child support bill he couldn’t pay while locked up“, Christina Carrega, Feb. 12, 2018


FindLaw Network