We are delighted to announce that our physical office is re-opening to our existing and new clients. To provide safety to both our clients and staff, we are adapting the CDC guidelines for social distancing while we are in the yellow phase. Rest assured, that we have and will continue to regularly clean all areas of the office especially the high-traffic areas. All attorneys and staff will have their temperature taken daily and will be wearing masks when interacting with clients. Any attorneys and staff with a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher will work remotely. They will then be required to follow CDCrecommended steps, including not returning to work until the CDC criteria to discontinue home isolation are met.

As the health and safety of our clients and their families is our top priority, we are asking that our clients follow the procedures below during the yellow phase:

  1. Upon entering the building, we ask that all persons wash their hands or hand-sanitize. We will be providing access to soap, hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes.
  2. We will also be taking temperatures with non-contact thermometers upon entering the office.
  3. Our office is set-up to comply with social distancing of six feet. In the conference and mediation rooms we are asking that each person sit a minimum of one chair apart from attorneys and/or staff at all times.
  4. Masks are available and will be provided open request.
  5. Teleconferences Zoom meetings, and FaceTime are available in lieu of inperson meetings if requested.
  6. We will continue to have the drop-box available for delivery of documents.

In the event that anyone is sick or have been exposed to COVID-19, we ask that you reschedule your appointment or utilize the electronic forums listed above.

As each county determines the procedures that will be followed, please ask your attorney of the specific procedures regarding the county in which your case in pending.

Please note that we will also continue to accommodate the needs of new clients, who are welcome, and as always we encourage and appreciate referrals. During this uncertain and unprecedented time, please stay safe and remember that Sweeney Law Office, LLC will remain by your side for all of your family’s legal needs. We ask that you have patience during this challenging time.

Let Our Family Help Your Family

Father faces tough sentence after nonpayment of child support

Most divorced parents in Pennsylvania know how important that regular support payment from an ex can be and what financial difficulty it can mean when it is not received. There are numerous methods by which a noncustodial parent can pay the child support needed to ensure the child has food, clothing, shelter and medical necessities. One father will be serving a prison sentence after not paying child support for many years.

A report on the matter did not say how long the man had disregarded paying the child support to his ex, but the amount he owed totaled over $200,000. Through the years there were 26 times he was held in contempt of court because he would not make any attempt to pay the support that was due. He was put in jail eight times after appearances at family court.

The man’s latest conflict arose when he violated an earlier probation requirement after he was convicted of a first-degree charge of nonsupport of a child. He will be serving anywhere from one to three years in a state prison for his absolute refusal to financially support his child. The district attorney stated that, because of the regulations set by the state to collect support payments, his office rarely sees this type of case. He felt he had no choice this time because nothing else seemed to work in encouraging this man to provide for his child.

There are those who argue for those parents, claiming they cannot work to earn the money to pay child support if they are incarcerated.  However, when attempt after attempt does not compel a parent to comply there is little else that can be done, as in this case. Pennsylvania custodial parents having trouble collecting the support amount set by the court will want to speak to an attorney who will represent their interests before a judge.


FindLaw Network