We are delighted to announce that our physical office is re-opening to our existing and new clients. To provide safety to both our clients and staff, we are adapting the CDC guidelines for social distancing while we are in the yellow phase. Rest assured, that we have and will continue to regularly clean all areas of the office especially the high-traffic areas. All attorneys and staff will have their temperature taken daily and will be wearing masks when interacting with clients. Any attorneys and staff with a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher will work remotely. They will then be required to follow CDCrecommended steps, including not returning to work until the CDC criteria to discontinue home isolation are met.

As the health and safety of our clients and their families is our top priority, we are asking that our clients follow the procedures below during the yellow phase:

  1. Upon entering the building, we ask that all persons wash their hands or hand-sanitize. We will be providing access to soap, hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes.
  2. We will also be taking temperatures with non-contact thermometers upon entering the office.
  3. Our office is set-up to comply with social distancing of six feet. In the conference and mediation rooms we are asking that each person sit a minimum of one chair apart from attorneys and/or staff at all times.
  4. Masks are available and will be provided open request.
  5. Teleconferences Zoom meetings, and FaceTime are available in lieu of inperson meetings if requested.
  6. We will continue to have the drop-box available for delivery of documents.

In the event that anyone is sick or have been exposed to COVID-19, we ask that you reschedule your appointment or utilize the electronic forums listed above.

As each county determines the procedures that will be followed, please ask your attorney of the specific procedures regarding the county in which your case in pending.

Please note that we will also continue to accommodate the needs of new clients, who are welcome, and as always we encourage and appreciate referrals. During this uncertain and unprecedented time, please stay safe and remember that Sweeney Law Office, LLC will remain by your side for all of your family’s legal needs. We ask that you have patience during this challenging time.

Let Our Family Help Your Family

Father goes to extreme lengths to avoid paying child support

Some non-custodial parents will do just about anything to get out of making support payments to an ex. Because of technology, however, it is not as easy as it may have been 20 or more years ago to escape paying spousal or child support. Pennsylvania parents may be interested in the report of a man who tried to evade his financial responsibilities of spousal and child support by changing his identity.

The man figured he could apply for a new Social Security number in an attempt to put his past behind him. He went to a Social Security office and claimed he had never been given a number or card, as he was Amish but had recently been excommunicated from his community. Through an investigation into his background, a clerk found he had legally changed his name just months prior and that he had, in fact, been given a card in 1976.

The man was hoping to be able to get a new driver’s license with his new Social Security card, as his old one had been revoked because he did not pay the spousal or child support he owed his ex. A total amount of his debt has not been revealed, but he will be paying nearly $2,000 each month, according to a garnishment order. He entered a guilty plea on the charge of Social Security fraud and has been sentenced to 18 months in a federal prison followed by three years of supervised release. His attorney plans to appeal the sentence.

Most single parents know how essential child support can be and how dire the consequences when they do not receive it. Every child deserves to have the necessities of shelter, clothing, food and medical care that both parents should provide. Pennsylvania parents who are having trouble collecting an order of financial support will want to contact an attorney with experience in getting clients the money to which they are entitled.


FindLaw Network