We are delighted to announce that our physical office is re-opening to our existing and new clients. To provide safety to both our clients and staff, we are adapting the CDC guidelines for social distancing while we are in the yellow phase. Rest assured, that we have and will continue to regularly clean all areas of the office especially the high-traffic areas. All attorneys and staff will have their temperature taken daily and will be wearing masks when interacting with clients. Any attorneys and staff with a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher will work remotely. They will then be required to follow CDCrecommended steps, including not returning to work until the CDC criteria to discontinue home isolation are met.

As the health and safety of our clients and their families is our top priority, we are asking that our clients follow the procedures below during the yellow phase:

  1. Upon entering the building, we ask that all persons wash their hands or hand-sanitize. We will be providing access to soap, hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes.
  2. We will also be taking temperatures with non-contact thermometers upon entering the office.
  3. Our office is set-up to comply with social distancing of six feet. In the conference and mediation rooms we are asking that each person sit a minimum of one chair apart from attorneys and/or staff at all times.
  4. Masks are available and will be provided open request.
  5. Teleconferences Zoom meetings, and FaceTime are available in lieu of inperson meetings if requested.
  6. We will continue to have the drop-box available for delivery of documents.

In the event that anyone is sick or have been exposed to COVID-19, we ask that you reschedule your appointment or utilize the electronic forums listed above.

As each county determines the procedures that will be followed, please ask your attorney of the specific procedures regarding the county in which your case in pending.

Please note that we will also continue to accommodate the needs of new clients, who are welcome, and as always we encourage and appreciate referrals. During this uncertain and unprecedented time, please stay safe and remember that Sweeney Law Office, LLC will remain by your side for all of your family’s legal needs. We ask that you have patience during this challenging time.

Let Our Family Help Your Family

Woman’s husband owes her 10 years of child support

A woman has been trying to get her ex-husband to pay her what he owes her for about 10 years now. After the couple first parted ways, she tried to work things out without involving the courts. Like many Pennsylvania parents, when her ex-husband consistently refused to pay her, she went to her local Child Support Enforcement office for help.

With the agency’s help, the woman was awarded $556 per month in child support. Despite the court order, her former husband has only made eight payments that equal a little over $1,700. As of the time of this writing, he owes her approximately $100,000 in unpaid child support.

Even though Child Support Enforcement had his wages garnished and took his driver’s license, the man, who left their home state, still refuses to pay. The next step would be to have the man put in jail. However, since he lives in another state, things are more complicated. Getting interstate cooperation happens all of the time, but it can take a long time as well.

This 10 year battle has left this mother frustrated and discouraged. The Child Support Enforcement office is overworked and understaffed; it could be a long time before they are able to do anything further to attempt to get her children’s father to pay. Pennsylvania parents that are in the same predicament may want to consult a professional. There may be additional ways to get to a parent that isn’t meeting his or her financial obligations that don’t rely on the Child Support Enforcement office.

Source: fox21news.com, “Springs mom speaks out against ex, child support system,” Rachel Welte, May 21, 2013


FindLaw Network